Rebar couplers are proving an excellent alternative to conventional rebar lap joints used in reinforced concrete structures. These couplers are finding increasing applications in reinforcing concrete columns and beams at comparatively reduced cost. The innovative technology to join rebars with higher tension capacity strengthens the steel reinforced concrete structures better. The threaded bars are connected by a coupler sleeve; it transfers structural strength on rebar across the joint.
Importance of Rebar Couplers in Structural Engineering:
Splicing of reinforcing bars is the key element of force transmission through structure by creating a load-carrying path. Reinforcing a bar beyond its end point or to replace a damaged section of bar in structural engineering without any compromise with structural strength has been a critical challenge. Reinforcing bars splicing can be done through several methods; lap splicing and welded splicing are the most used methods. However, the experienced benefits of using rebar couplers are making the couplers the preferred choice of structural engineering consultants, engineers, contractors, and other stakeholders. Should you embrace rebar couplers to expand structural engineering quality dimensions? The nine benefits of rebar couplers use present a convincing answer –
- Mechanical rebar coupling is more reliable than the conventional lap coupling
- Joint strength doesn’t depend on concrete for load bearing capacity
- Rebar couplers provide better structural integrity, strength, and toughness
- Mechanical rebar couplers has 50 % to 125% more UTS than the lap splicing
- Rebar couplers eliminate concrete congestion and voids in splicing area
- Rebar couplers allow the engineers to design a structure with ideal balance of concrete and steel by eliminating overlapping of rebar in splicing area; it is almost impossible otherwise.
- Rebar Couplers are easy and quick to install
- Use of rebar couplers save labor cost and accelerates productivity
- Threaded Rebar couplers facilitate usage of rebars of larger diameter in smaller sized column that is not possible in welded or lap splicing
A Variety of Rebar Couplers for Advanced Structural Engineering:
Rebar couplers are available in 16 mm to 40mm sizes and the length varies from 32 to 100 mm. Reducer couplers are available in 16 / 12, 20 / 16 to 40 / 32 combinations; while the length varies from 35 to 82mm.
Rebar couplers, also called mechanical couplers, can be selected according to thread and design type also like parallel threaded couplers, reducer couplers, taper-threaded steel coupler, threaded coupler with upsized bar threads etc. The leading rebar couplers manufacturers, suppliers and exporters offer on-site threading facility also.
Quality Checks Of Rebar Couplers Add Value To Structural Engineering:
The top rebar couplers manufacturer supply rebar couplers complying with IS 16172, ACI 318, BS 970 and other quality specifications. These are made of carbon steel (mild steel) tested for 600 MPa minimum tensile strength. Before supply to end-users, rebar couplers pass through various quality tests-
- Static tensile test
- Chemical composition test
- Cyclic tensile test
- Slip test
- Elongation Test
For the first time users, it is good to consult for the application and specific concerns with rebar couplers specialists available at selected rebar couplers manufacturer and supplier to choose the best type and size.